Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I just posted this note on RealMoney.com. - Hewitt

Several months ago I advised subscribing to the Thomas Nogales report, a free monthly e-letter. I have read this report for several years, and find each issue provocative and useful.
The just-released October 2008 issue entitled "Three Phases of a Collapse, An Oil Play" is especially so.

"I firmly believe that most investors reading this e-letter will be essentially broke within ten years," editor Thomas Gleason writes. "Your money will be lost to inflation, a dollar decline and a series of failed defensive asset repositionings that won't protect your savings."

Scary stuff. But better that we prepare now than bury our heads in the sand. To learn more, click here http://www.thomasnogales.com/monthly_emails.htm.

Also, permit me a word or two about Washington. While our elected (and unelected!) officials try to fix the credit mess, they also need to cut government spending.

U.S. Treasury gross public debt is $9.788 trillion, up $794 billion from a year ago. The annualized rate of change: almost 9%.

I view growth in U.S. debt as a proxy for inflation. In contrast, the "official" inflation rate is 5.4% a year, through August 2008. In human terms, the incremental increase in public debt is $2,600 for each of the 300 million Americans. The trend is not our friend.

A long-term bull market in stocks will resume once investors regain confidence that our national checkbook is under adult supervision.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.