Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Those of you here who are anti-evolution, please tell me why. What threat does it pose, what is so bad about it to justify all the effort that is spent fighting it?

I just don't get it.

IMHO, the reason evolution is a hot-button issue is that it reduces the feeling that we are specially singled out in the universe.

Analogy: before Copernicus and Galileo, it was already long established that the earth was a sphere, but generally understand that the earth is the center of the universe and everything revolves around it. Copernicus and Galileo challenged this opinion, opening the door to the implication that the earth is, in fact, just another speck in the universe, which behaves exactly like all the other specks in the universe. The church didn't like that, they persecuted Copernicus and Galileo. Then hundreds of years later, that was accepted science and all the opposing clergymen were dead.

In much the same way, evolution challenges our notion that we are singled out as something special among life on earth. Genesis teaches that God created animals first, then he said "Those aren't cool enough yet... I'm gonna make me a MAN and he'll be just like me!"

But evolution reveals that people developed in much the same way that other animals did. In fact, people ARE animals, and this throws off our perception of ourselves as something unique and separate from animals. Like the idea that the sun doesn't go around the earth, the idea that all the animals don't revolve around their master homo sapiens is discomfiting.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.