No. of Recommendations: 1
Those who are employed tend to look at the "take home pay" amount and be comfortable with the security of a regular paycheck.

For those of you who are married to or dating an employed person, does your self-employed status vs. their employed status tend to affect your political/idealogical views?

My DH is self-employed, but I don't think he is as independently minded as some of you folks on this board. I had to push and push to get him to do this, and the only reason he finally took the plunge was that he got laid off about 3 years ago, and I told him to just go into business for himself. He did, and has never looked back.

I am employed for someone else, but I have always and continue to be the primary breadwinner, and I supply the benefits. I think that makes a difference in his headset since we don't eat based on his pay, so he has incredible flexibility, something I find priceless. He seldom leaves our town, and is usually on our street, so he is the one to pick the kids up if they need to stay after school, and he has started taking them to his appointments because he can easily rearrange his calendar. But he also works a lot on weekends due to weather and various schedule delays.

He does the real work in his business [he's a General Contractor, but he specializes in smaller projects like remodels, sheds, basements, etc., and there is little competition here in that area], and I do all the finances. So I'm the one who sends the invoices, pays the bills, does the banking, etc. Something we have done which he tends to like is that I transfer money from his business account to our personal account every 2 weeks when I get paid. Because I do that, he seems to feel like there's a more tangible financial contribution from him to the household, and he doesn't see this big pile of money that he can just go out and spend on tools.

If I could think of something that paid me as well as what I make working for someone else, I would choose to be self-employed. But the things I tend to like are sewing related, and you can't make a living at that, though once in a while, someone does pay me to do that.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.