Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
though I grew more familiar with a box fan and a wet tee-shirt on 90+F days). - mark12547

---------------------

Under the right circumstance, I too am a big fan of the wet t-shirt.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I sometimes miss hearing Maynard G. Krebs' reaction to the word.

Howie52
Currently I miss going to the library and book stores.

Work?
No.
But I still join the unemployed engineer's lunch sessions each week. They started up again
2 weeks back.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I consider "Work" a dirty four-letter word.

CNC
NO

When we were engaged and in our early 20’s DH chose a career with a pension. He was thinking about it that early on! We were born for this life style! We love retirement! We’ve been retired almost 14 years now and having a pension is the greatest!

I worked 20 years for my parents company with my brother and there was just the 4 of us. All of the people that DH worked with for 35 years have also retired and he keeps in contact with a few too.

We have always loved traveling and would dream of being able to travel to our hearts content which we do.

Utahtea
Yes and I have been retired since 2001.
Well, maybe the first year I had a few pangs about 'not working' but that ended very quickly as the telecom industry vaporized.

Been retired now....well, darn 23 years......and enjoying them all. No rush hour.....no getting home after dark..... no hassles , no bosses, no deadlines....no boring meetings or status reports.......

Now I get up at 6:15 or so. Get dressed - go out and take in the newspaper and put out any outgoing mail. Take morning pills - vitamin pills and one BP med. Make breakfast and eat while reading WSJ end to end.

Go to computer room and check the mail and other stuff.

Like to travel but that has come to complete halt with current situation. Especially since I'm a vulnerable 'senior'. This too shall pass.....

Enjoying my swimming pool......

t.
No way Jose!!!
My situation was unique before I retired. I had been working part-time (1993 to 2006) before I retired, mostly 20-hour weeks. I do miss it a bit. But I couldn't go back anyway.
Not to sound "preachy" but if you miss working, you can always volunteer somewhere using the skills or tasks you enjoyed most in your job. Being part of a team of people you like? Enjoy organizing? Enjoy handling finances? Enjoy dealing with people and helping them? Enjoy researching or investigating?

There are so many volunteer agencies and community institutions that could use your skills, and as a volunteer you can choose your hours....

If you miss work, consider exactly what you loved about it, and then find that pleasure again as a volunteer.

Maryanne,
(still volunteering in my own field because it didn't feel like "work" when I was being paid.)
I never really missed work (except for the A/C that I no longer had access to on really hot days). After about a week of staying at home and starting to work through my Netflix disc queue, I ended up stepping up my volunteerism and still haven't missed work (though I grew more familiar with a box fan and a wet tee-shirt on 90+F days).
though I grew more familiar with a box fan and a wet tee-shirt on 90+F days). - mark12547

---------------------

Under the right circumstance, I too am a big fan of the wet t-shirt.
No, I don't miss work. I was laid off in 2016 (tech company...big surprise). I briefly went back to work until mid 2017 but was unhappy (Director I reported to was smart, but had the people skills of a pet rock). So my wife and I had a hard discussion, looked at our finances, and said "that's it". I do miss playing with new technology, and some of my coworkers, but the politics and layoffs in the tech industry sucked alot of the fun out of it. Our original plan was to retire in 2019, so we weren't far off.

We volunteer restoring native prairies....it takes up alot of our time, along with going to the gym and hanging out with friends....although at least 50% of our friends haven't retired yet. We haven't traveled much yet....still getting the feel for our finances, and we plan to move soon also.
Hey miketx welcome to the Fool. 8D
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had my own business. In later years, I slowed down considerably, but kept working till I hit 80 because my back went out and it was time!!

If you love what you do, keep doing it as long as you can.

Birgit