Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Though I think I have to roll it within 6 months(??) after I leave employment anyway.

Not if it's more than $5,000 The law requires employers to allow former employees with accounts of more than $5,000 to keep their money in the 401(k) plan. If it's less than $1,000, they can send you a check. If it's between $1,000 and $5,000, they have to either let you keep it in the plan, or set up an IRA to roll it into.

The employer can provide incentives for you to roll the money into an IRA by, for example, charging extra fees for those who are no longer employees.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.