Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
though I will have to get my IRA 1099-r changed to reflect the non-tax portion.

That's not going to happen. And it's not necessary.

The IRA custodian has no idea how much of a distribution is taxable, if any. For IRA withdrawals, they're supposed to mark the box indicating the taxable amount is not determined. They can optionally leave the taxable amount box blank, but most put the distribution amount there anyway.

At any rate, a corrected 1099-R is not needed to show the non-taxable amount of an IRA withdrawal. You file Form 8606 to determine how much of an IRA withdrawal is not taxable. I believe the IRS pretty much ignores the taxable amount for IRA withdrawals, and looks to that 8606 instead.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.