Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thoughts?
I comes down to whether the tax deduction now is worth more (or less) to you that the future tax free account.
I think that at the time of retirement and withdrawal it is highly desireable to have both tax deferred and tax free accounts. This gives you some flexibility in tax managing your withdrawals. I know at your age you are probably not even considering the mandatory withdrawals at age 70.5, but, it is a bit of a concern that with RMDs your income might go up and still be in a higher tax bracket.
Do you expect to be in a higher or lower tax bracket at time of withdrawal? If lower, it favors taking the tax deduction now. I would suspect that at your income the current tax deduction would be valuable. I assume that your employer's contribution will go into the standard 401k.
No easy answer, but, if it were me I would probably contribute to both the standard and Roth is some proportion perhaps such that it is 50-50 including the employer contribution.

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.