Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
For a long time I have considered moving to Asia. There is a chance that one day I might live in either Indonesia or the Philippines. I love Asia for many reasons and there might be a day where I might have to push the eject button on America.

Here is a quote by Jim Rogers that echoes my thoughts on this subject:

"I moved to Asia because I see enormous opportunities there, and I’ve got my two little girls who I want to grow up speaking Chinese and grow up knowing Asia as well as they know America.

* I’m convinced that China is going to be the great country of the 21st century.
* I want to prepare my little girls for that; I don’t see how America is going to become the great country of the 21st century again."

Jim Rogers

http://greenlightadvisor.com/glablog/2008/12/29/jim-rogers-p...

Who knows if he is right or not about America's decline but in case he is I am already preparing a escape plan.....

Starrob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"For a long time I have considered moving to Asia. There is a chance that one day I might live in either Indonesia or the Philippines. I love Asia for many reasons and there might be a day where I might have to push the eject button on America"

Join the club. I already own a house a few steps from the South China Sea near a beach considered to be the surfing capital of Asia. Will soon accept turnover of a condo unit a couple of minutes from the financial center of the Philippines by rail. Been shuttling to the region about once every three years. Hope to do it more often if not establish residence there within 5 years.

Gotta work on my Chinese, though. The looks are no problem. I've been mistaken for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and other South Americans, but rarely Filipino.
Gotta work on my Chinese, though. The looks are no problem. I've been mistaken for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and other South Americans, but rarely Filipino.

Funny story about that. My wife (who is full-blooded Chinese) told me when we first started dating that she tended to get really, really blunt questions about her ethnicity. Things like "What are you?" or others generally discounting the potential that someone who looked like her was actually American. Given that many of the questioners were male, I think many times they were trying to hit on her (and failing pretty spectacularly).

She started mixing up her answers, her favorite being that she was half Swedish and half Jewish. You'd be surprised at how few people questioned this.

A few years ago, she got a new one. A man wandered up to her in a McDonald's in DC and asked her "what tribe are you?"

Without batting an eye she said "Taiwanese. We're related to the Shoshoni."

Not sure why that one keeps the likes of me around, honestly.

Bill Mann
"She started mixing up her answers"

Good for her. That would be very confusing for me to adapt. I'm some kind of a digital communications expert in those situations. I favor my middle finger in most of them but sometimes I'm quick to flash a thumbs up.