Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Three months before I was to graduate with an AS in CAD, I was hired on by a major (Fortune 500) utility company. The suprising thing was that I was one of less than a handful of drafters permamently employed by this company that had a formal education in drafting. The person that hired me was so tickled with my performance that he no longer hires drafters without an AS. To make a long story short, in my two short years with this company, I have been given many opportunities, one of which is that the company is now supporting me (both time and money wise) in an all-out effort to get a BS in Mechanical Engineering. My best advice to you would be to go to your school's placement office. Most technical colleges have them and they are excellent sources for placement assistance - it worked for me! The CAD/drafting world was a big career change for me as well - I was a music ed. major in a past life, but I am proof that it can be done. Also, a few years ago I bought a downloadable book on CAD resumes and cover letters and it has proved to be indespensible - here's the link: http://store.yahoo.com/a-s-publishing/noname6.html I say go for it! But, please do heed RochesterNY's advice on your employer's contributions to your education. For example, my employer requires that you be employed with them for six months before you're eligible for ed benefits, but once you get them, you have no obligation to the company if you leave - other than ethical (or your quilty conscience). Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.