Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, I'm new to the board, so I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if this is one of those just really stupid questions, so apologies in advance if necessary.

My taxes are going to be complicated (for me!) this year. I moved, turned my house in Texas into a rental, had a boatload of medical expenses, and some other things I won't go into right now.

I've started work on my taxes and I realized that I did not keep any of the receipts associated with my move, which was, technically, for my job--I took a lower position in my hometown to be closer to my mom, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's. As far as I can tell from reviewing the material, I can still claim this on my income tax... but alas, I didn't save any receipts.

I can get credit card records, but will that be enough if I'm ever audited?

I'm probably going to have a CPA review my stuff this year, because I'm going to need all the deductions I can get (I also took a hardship distribution from my 401K--no lectures, please!) so I know I'm going to get hammered.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.