No. of Recommendations: 5
ThyPeace, all we have to go on is data from the past and some of us prefer to see it in graphic rather than in tabular form. That's what makes Klein charts so useful. We need more of them, on demand. At least I do!

I started my professional life programming mainframes and it was actually easy because we only had about 20 or so instruction to talk to the CPU with. Modern computer languages have hundreds of instruction and we can make up more complex ones on the fly. In investing terms, switching costs become increasingly high -- exponentially! Young people learn the new stuff, old ones want to stick with the old ones.

One way to simplify things is to use frameworks. For someone who likes to write code (me) it is as easy to create one as it is to learn one created by someone else in the hope you'll like it. I'm on the third version of my php framework -- entirely OOP and semantic in design. So I'm stuck with LAMP which has lots of missing features such as a good math library (phpExcel, maybe Python), graphic rendering (Javascript), and other odds and ends. Then there is the increasing complexity of interacting with Yahoo's API, a necessity because Yahoo is still the best source of free price data.

Progress Report

For the graphics rendering I'm going to try Chart.js (JavaScript). I've downloaded the library and got it working.

Python might solve the Yahoo API problem and might even replace phpExcel which is huge and deprecated to boot. Python 2.7 comes installed in Macs and I've installed Python 3.7 as well. I got php to talk Python (more or less).

Now I have to decide to start with the rendering (JavaScript) or with the data acquisition (Python).

Suggestions welcome!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.