Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently rolled over my 403(b) plan to tiaa-cref-growth annuity. I know MF does not recommend this type of investment, but the low expense points(34) and the past returns, made this an attractive investment. Am I missing something?
Print the post Back To Top
Most variable annuities have such high fees that many people automatically equate VA to evil.

However, TIAA-CREF has such low rates for their Variable Annuities that they look like a good deal!

As soon as I found out about TIAA-CREF Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity fees, and compared their returns with my previous 403(b) provider's returns for equivalent investments, I switched my 403(b) contributions to them.

I have exactly the same question. Just started out three years ago and investing in tiaa-cref's growth annuity. I thought it was a good choice as I have no other assets like home or so but after reading the fool's column I am a bit confused. Please share any advice.

Thanks!
My "emergency fund" is in a money market with
TIAA-CREF. They are a great company, in my humble opinion.

I actually called for info when I read an ad about their annuities, but they aren't available in my state
yet.

Happy investing!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Ulala, and welcome. You asked:

<<I recently rolled over my 403(b) plan to tiaa-cref-growth annuity. I know MF does not recommend this type of investment, but the low expense points(34) and the past returns, made this an attractive investment. Am I missing something? >>

No, you're not. The TIAA-CREF product is one of the few we happen to respect, and we say so quite often. Still, we do have reservations and complaints about most annuities in 403b plans. For specific reasons, see this week's guest column on that topic at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2000/retireeport000828.htm. Then give yourself a gold star because you avoided that problem in your plan.

Regards...Pixy
ulala wrote: I recently rolled over my 403(b) plan to tiaa-cref-growth annuity. I know MF does not recommend this type of investment, but the low expense points(34) and the past returns, made this an attractive investment. Am I missing something?

jtmitch responds: IMO, no. If you haven't seen it already, there is a thread starting with:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13187138
which also talks about TIAA-CREF. My contribution to that thread essentially makes the same point you do.

jtmtich