Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 17
Hey, Fools!

My last update found below was in July.
http://boards.fool.com/ticohombre-update-july-2015-31824134....

I'm going to jump the gun slightly on this one as we are going to be out of state around the first and very busy. The new mortgage balance reflects the balance with the November 1st mortgage payment applied in advance.

OK. I have a long history on this board and much of it has to do with my intense desire to pay off what started as 5 rental property mortgages and a newly acquired personal residence totaling $255,394 in June, 2010. I posted way back then my desire to pay off all mortgage debt. I started with my personal residence and wiped out about a 59k balance in 19 months. By December of 2012 I was down to three mortgages and totaling $177,650 and so decided to revisit the possibility of eliminating every last cent of debt as quickly as possible. So I did what any "Fool" or "fool" (you decide) would do and so I shouted out the world once more my intention to pay those mortgages off over the next 3.5 years and be done with them by July, 2016.

Well, here we are closing in on 3 years and where do we stand?

As of November 1st our balance on the last mortgage stands at: $29,645

It just felt good to see that balance under 30k. It's been hard fought. If you've kept up with our story you know we've had to deal with numerous wifely operations and a bout of Thyroid cancer in the interim.

No debt payoff ride is ever smooth for more than a few months at a time. You must constantly pick yourself up off the ground, brush off the dust and get back on that horse again and again. You are constantly looking for sources of encouragement and so, at least in my case, I scour the internet looking for debt payoff success stories and draw encouragement to stay the course. You also stay encouraged by using that gift of imagination and seeing your future debt-free self doing a happy dance and enjoying your hard-won fruits of endurance and sacrifice. You visit the Fool boards and secretly lurk and read and occasionally post. Every little bit helps. Additionally, you simply have to occasionally step back and remind yourself why every month your emptying your bank account of a precious 4,230 little soldiers to wage a debt war. It's a good fight! You can't win the war by just hoping and wishing.

I see the end of the forty-two month goal beginning to close in. There only seven months remaining. There's no way to know what surprises lurk in the shadows. I do know we'll meet them as they come (if and when they come). Likely I'll update somewhere around the first of the year where I hope to be down to about 20k. Till then...take care everyone.

Ticohombre
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.