Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Speaking at a promotional event for his children's book, RB Tiki Barber said Tuesday that he will likely retire following the season, adding that "nothing" could change his mind.

Barber has plenty of off-field interests, which makes the situation plausible despite the fact that it comes from out of the blue and was said at a promotional event. "For the longest time, I thought I had to win a Super Bowl to define my career," Barber said. "I would like to, but I don't have to, because I can walk away knowing I did the best I could." This story will surely gain steam in the New York media this week, so further details should emerge.

rotoworld.com.
Print the post Back To Top
Tiki was on the NFL Network's All Access this summer talking about that he has prepared himself to retire and that there are other things that interest him.

He did not go into specifics about what those things were however.
I'll be sad to see him go, but best of luck to him.

Donna
BF swears....

"when they fail to win the super bowl again and he sees next year's (hopefully) easier schedule, he'll come back. his numbers are not yet close to hall of fame consideration."

He has a lot going for him outside of football, so I don't know that I agree.

Donna
No. of Recommendations: 2
He did not go into specifics about what those things were however.

You know the Barber retirement thing is no joke when you hear him use the word "Condi.' You know, "Condi,' as in the nickname for Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State. He was talking about having lunch with her at the State Department in a riff about how interesting the other side of his life is. He does work for the Fox morning show, Fox and Friends, and hosts an in-season Sirius NFL Radio show with his brother and an offseason general interest and political talk show.
--
Barber has had enough of the regimentation and the silly rules (reporting at 8:23 for an 8:30 meeting because you have to be early with the Giants to be on time) and, quite frankly, the physical pain. He told a story of getting hit so hard and so often by personal nemesis Jeremiah Trotter in Week 2 that "I couldn't lift my head off the pillow till Friday after that game.'

I've always thought it was amazing that athletes will endure such pain to play when they've got good money socked away. Barber's not Michael Jordan rich, but he's probably made $30 million in his 10 NFL seasons. He lives on Manhattan's East Side in an upscale building with his wife, Ginny, and two boys, and he bought the apartment next door so her parents could move in and be close to them. So he's not living like a pauper. Let's say he's got a $10 million nest egg, though I'm sure that's conservative.

If you've got a brain in your head and you have options off the field, why wouldn't it be a preferred option to walk away...

MMQB
If you've got a brain in your head and you have options off the field, why wouldn't it be a preferred option to walk away...

Tiki's now on the list of intelligent guys who left before the game caught up to them.

1. Robert Smith
2. Tiki Barber

I have a lot of respect for those guys. Any time I head about a guy who gets numerous concussions I think of Al Toon. In a story in SI years ago he talked about the effects that many concussions had on him. He had to keep a list of his kid's names in his wallet because he couldn't always remember them.

Tiki's now on the list of intelligent guys who left before the game caught up to them.

1. Robert Smith
2. Tiki Barber

3. Barry Sanders

While I think that frustration with the Lions organization was the primary reason, he still belongs in this category. He simply didn't need football in his life. It was just a job he did.

Waymee
No. of Recommendations: 6
He had to keep a list of his kid's names in his wallet because he couldn't always remember them.

You raise a valid point, and it's good to see guys getting out while the getting is good, but I am struggling w/ the urge to make a Shawn Kemp joke here.
While I think that frustration with the Lions organization was the primary reason, he still belongs in this category. He simply didn't need football in his life. It was just a job he did.

I did think of him, but didn't add him because as you mentioned his original reason for leaving was the Lions organization. He can be #3 with an asterisk.

It still amazes me that he never came back, even after things in Detroit had changed.
"I did think of him, but didn't add him because as you mentioned his original reason for leaving was the Lions organization. He can be #3 with an asterisk.

It still amazes me that he never came back, even after things in Detroit had changed."

Other than quite possibly getting worse, what has changed about the Detroit organization since Barry announced his retirement?