Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 33
This may explain (some of) TikTok's reduced usage: TikTok changed their data compression algorithm resulting in a better compression ratio (compressed data/uncompressed data), which resulted in a reduced bitrate, which implies less (usage) fees to FSLY, as reported by Robert Majek, analyst at Raymond James, who covers FSLY.

Announcement and link below

... Raymond James analyst Robert Majek repeated his Outperform rating on the stock. Majek theorizes that the issue might involve TikTok switching to a higher level of data compression that could have reduced their bitrate consumption “and could provide some reassurance for investors.” He adds that he “[hasn’t] lost any confidence in Fastly’s level of performance and product differentiation that should drive sustainable share gains and growth over time.”

link: https://www.barrons.com/articles/fastly-stock-tumbles-25-her...

The (my?) takeaway: if TikTok can reduce their usage fees by improving their compression implementation, other customers likely did it, or will do it. This is where the usage model is at a disadvantage to the subscription model. So FSLY's growth story moves (further) away from Content Delivery and more toward Edge Computing, which we all knew but maybe didn't think Content Deliver revenue would wane so quickly, knowing FSLY's Edge Computing play will take some time.

As such, I think my outlook on FSLY is changing. Not a complete sell like some others, but some reduction and no new money going into FSLY until the earnings call, at the very earliest.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.