Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Tim

I recently had a nice little chat with one of the "sound bite' folks. I am on Vancouver Island just outside of Victoria and had to attend a seminar type thing. The instructor fellow mentioned he had just been to some sort of protest at the Legislature in Victoria protesting Northern Gateway. I made the mistake of asking him what it was about the pipeline he objected to. Basically he was against the whole carbon economy, wants us all to eventually stop using fossil fuels and cover up the oil sands again to save the earth. He realized we couldn't immediately stop using coal and oil, but felt the sand projects should be abandonded immediately. Drilling was OK for now, but not mining for oil. I quizzed him a bit about what he knew. It was sad. He had no idea that the majority of Canada's heavy oil was from drilled wells and not strip mining. Last estimates I saw were that 90% of the oil sands were too deep to access by mining. He also had no idea about the price differentials that Canadian companies sell to the south and the Brent price eastern Canada pays. I told him with that kind of price differential, the oil would get out to where it could get better prices somehow, and if not by pipeline it may be by trains right down the Fraser Valley to Vancouver. I might as well have been talking to the wall. Anyway, I didn't waste a lot of time on him as his mind was pretty much closed and I needed his signature on a paper so I did not want to aggravate him too much.
It is nice to see at least some people in the environmental movement can see a bigger picture.

drab,
who spends a lot of time on the west coast fishing and messing around, doesn't want to see it messed up, but also realizes where the gas for his boat and car comes from.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.