Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Tim-if I may be so familiar

The whole kit idea only works if the cable (physical wiring) is to the house and capable of broadband-and that will require at least one truckroll to check the condition of the line and multiple truckrolls if the line is found wanting.

In my case-I posted about my experience with getting broadband into my house a few messages ago-the existing cable (as in Cox physical wiring) was antique-it was not up to the standards required to get broadband so the whole selfinstall idea was out-the local infrastructure was only capable of supporting max 64 channels and there is mega slice and dice on the line. The wiring in my house is of the same vintage. In other words Cox(or fill in you local TV cable provider here)@home was not an option.

Cable (meaning the physical wiring in this instance) capable of broadband isn't installed everywhere. New neighborhoods sometimes have the advantage, because they get modern equipment when they go in-older established neighborhoods like mine have wiring that I think dates from the late 70s early 80s.

Assuming that you are in a neighborhood where the infrastructure for cable broadband (like Cox@home) exists just installing a single splitter and a little extra wire (going a fairly short distance from your box so you can buy cables with installed f connectors off the rack) and an ethernet card and some software-yeah that self-install is very doable. Maybe not too cheap (depending on how much cable you needed-one hopes they supplied some cable and the rest of the stuff in the kit) but doable.

In the case of the idea of self installing the VDSL that I have now, well you just haven't seen the yards and yards of spaghetti running around the outside of my house that allows 2 computers and 3 TVs to run off their gateway-which is at the main TV location. Getting all the features that make their monthly price seem reasonable to the buyer requires more than a single splitter and a short length of cable in the case of VDSL. Even with that it also turns out that my phone line coming up to the house was not up to snuff-the phone company had to run a brand new six pair to me so that I could get the much awaited and promised speed.

One point I tried to make in my last post is that I was unwilling to payout an initial cash outlay of $400-$600, plus continuing premium price of more than 3 times the cost of my ISP just to get access to bandwidth-especially of the shrinking kind-or quickly obsoleting kind. I do not think I am alone. And so I stayed with your basic v90 ($50) and ISP access (no start up fee; $15/mo) and got another phone line (less than $30 a month and which I probably would have gotten anyway becaues I now have 3 phone lines) for 3 additional years, because it was affordable. And I would not have likely undertaken the expenses for the VDSL install-because the several hundreds of yards of RG59 along the all the splitters, connectors, feedthroughs etc would have involved far to much expense and effort (can you picture yourself repeating the basement to second floor install like 4 more times?-this chore took two professionals with all the tools of the trade 6 hours or so).

As an aside, in the self-install scenario, troubleshooting becomes quite a bit more problematic-the phone company or cable company might be able to sluff of the failure on a nonprofessional install when in fact the problem may be on their end-you said it took you a while to get your kit-they aren't sounding like the most responsive folk in the world. When they are responsible for the whole shebang, well at least the buyer's technical competence or lack thereof is not an issue.

A far larger issue-I think-is the lack of infrastructure. In terms of DSL-I believe it is still a fairly large problem for outlying areas and for long established areas (the fiber optic people have being going gang busters digging up side walks and roads around the Phoenix metro area for years and they still aren't done...) And until the infrastructure exist the whole DIY idea seems a little unrealistic.

Alternatively-If the lines are in condition and if the house is already wired for the internet (the yards of spagetti are already installed-a lot of new houses have just this...) well DIY VDSL is just the ticket-but how many of those are there?

With regards to the the Cox@home type folks the infrastructure problem still exists, because they will have to limit the number of people they allow on a given pipeline in order to compete in the highspeed access market-and that is the thing isn't it? They may be beating the DSL market in terms of existing infrastructure-or not as is evidenced by my own experience...

Sidebar? We as a country have a lot of people with more computer than they can adequately use when bandwidth becomes a limitation. Who cares how fast your computer is if your download rate is 2kb/s. Grandma ain't gonna be seeing livetime pix of the grandkids at that rate. The market for broadband exists-must exist...

And then there are the wireless highspeed folk whose infrastructure consists of repeaters and frequency allocation-and they have a whole 'nother playing field to contend with...'nough said about them.

"Anytime an individual, other than a cable employee, loads their own software, installs their own ethernet card, or runs their own cable, the rollout accelerates a little bit more." I fundamentally agree with this statement but I am unsure how close to reality we are talking here.

Jake
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.