Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Tim,

It's not a kids book but worth buying and giving to them when they're older:

"The Millionaire Next Door"

I can't give you the 2 professor/authors names. Somebody borrowed my copy and has yet to return it. CHRIS IF YOU'RE READING!!!

When I was young (back when Gordon Scott was Tarzan) the only thing my parents taught us about investing was, "Put 10% of your money in the bank for the future". Knowing what I know now it's hard to believe my parents did well. But when I read that book I saw my father everywhere in it. In fact I was quite sure he could have done a better job at writing the chapter on how multi-millionaires buy cars.

He has always dealt with people honestly and gives everyone he meets credit for being honest too. But when it came to used or new cars watch out:

He always bought on a rainy day in November(he'd keep the salesman out in it forever). He would tour the lots looking for cars he liked. Then he'd walk onto a car lot and ask to test drive a car. They'd throw him the keys. He'd then drive the car to another dealer, park in front and ask to test drive a car off that lot.

He'd leave knowing the salespeople would check out the car he came in assumming it was a "trade in" only to discover it came from another car lot. The next night he'd do the exact same thing but in reverse. The result was he'd have 2 salesmen bidding against each other. He'd never buy under less than three weeks negotiating and until he and one salesman were arguing over $5. He always got more than 25% off the asking price (new cars too!).

The thing about the book is that it describes the habits of people that are worth at least $10 million US. The findings were that the majority were blue collar workers, entrepreneurs right out of high school, married to the same partner, lived modestly and poured everything into "unrealized capital gains".

It's a very entertaining insightful read. I never thought about money until I had to go on disability and I don't have to worry now. But I decided to take charge for myself and learn to understand money. 30! I wish I'd come across this book at 40 instead of 45.

OB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.