Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anheuser Busch InBev (NYSE: BUD) was the fourteenth stock mentioned in this post: https://boards.fool.com/time-to-look-at-things-again-3424198... , which makes it next up for review.

Anheuser Busch InBev is a well known alcoholic beverage manufacturer. I owned some of its bonds, but sold them during the stock market's meltdown because those bonds held up well at a time when I was looking to raise cash. Still, the company made the list, so it's worth looking at again.

Dividends: A Belgian-based company, BUD tends to pay dividends twice a year, and those dividends vary based on the current profitability of the company. Even accounting for currency fluctuations, those dividends haven't been increasing recently and are actually down from their 2017 levels. That said, the dividend seems to be in the neighborhood of a 55% payout ratio, making it reasonably well covered. The lack of recent dividend growth means I wouldn't be a buyer at these prices, but if I were a shareholder, I'd probably be okay holding on based on the dividend.

Balance Sheet: BUD has an investment grade bond rating, a debt-to-equity ratio of around 1.2, and a current ratio of around 0.8. While it does have bonds maturing every year for the next several, its bonds do not look like they are pricing at fire-sale in the market, indicating that the market expects it will likely get through this mess. Between its cash on hand and a reasonable estimate for cash flows, I would agree with that assessment and would be willing to consider owning its shares (or its near term bonds again) based on its balance sheet.

Valuation: Assuming the coronavirus issues resolve themselves in the not too distant future, I estimate Anheuser Busch InBev to be worth somewhere between $48 and $53 per share, slightly ahead of the company's recent price of $42.99. Based on that valuation estimate, I'd be willing to consider buying the company's shares.

Next Steps: Having used my available cash on Monday ( https://boards.fool.com/went-shopping-yesterday-34449299.asp... ), I don't exactly have ready capital to invest at the moment. So my next step is to keep an eye on it. If it still looks reasonably priced the next time I have cash available to invest, I'll consider purchasing.

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.