Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Citigroup (NYSE: C) was the fifteenth stock mentioned in this post: https://boards.fool.com/time-to-look-at-things-again-3424198... , which makes it next up for review.

Citigroup is a major bank. I don't own its shares, but I do own some bonds.

Dividends: Citigroup recently paid a dividend of $0.51 per share per quarter, and it's due to announce its next dividend soon. If it keeps to recent trends, it will hold its dividend flat for this quarter. It did recently suspend its share buybacks, but I have not seen anything about its dividend, yet. Assuming its dividend holds steady, it has a yield of around 4.3%, and that dividend represents around 24% of its trailing earnings. The dividend increased 3 payments ago from $0.45 per share per quarter, around 13%. Based on its dividend, I'm wiling to continue holding onto the bonds I own.

Balance Sheet: Citigroup has nearly $24 billion in cash and equivalents and nearly $170 billion in deposits with banks on its balance sheet. It reports a net equity position around $190 billion. And of course, on top of its own equity, it has the backing of a very active Federal Reserve that is helicoptering money around like there's no tomorrow. At this point, I'm not overly concerned about Citigroup's balance sheet, but we'll see what unfolds as the economy progresses from here on out. Based on its balance sheet, I'm willing to continue holding onto the bonds I own.

Valuation: Assuming Citigroup survives this crisis and we return to something resembling normalcy by 2021, I estimate Citigroup to be worth around $60.20 per share based on a discounted earnings model. At a recent price of around $47.41 per share, it appears to be valued a little below that fair value estimate. Based on its valuation, I'm willing to continue holding onto the bonds I own and would be willing to consider buying shares.

Next Steps: I plan to hold onto my Citigroup bonds, and I also plan to add Citigroup to my list of potential stocks to buy if it still looks reasonably priced if and when I get additional cash to invest.

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Disclosure: I own Citigroup Bonds
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.