Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH) was the sixteenth stock mentioned in this post: https://boards.fool.com/time-to-look-at-things-again-3424198... , which makes it next up for review. Cardinal Health is in the business of providing medical supplies and cost containment services. Like much of the health care industry, it's in a weird space right now, with much non-emergency medical care on hold due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

I don't own its shares, but I do own its bonds.

Dividends: Cardinal Health currently pays a dividend of $.481 per share per quarter, though it has paid that dividend for four consecutive quarters, so it's due for a potential increase with its next one, if it's able to do so. Based on history, we should know mid-May if it does or not. Cardinal Health's yield is around 3.9%, and although it has reported an accounting loss over the trailing four quarters, its dividend looks well covered by its ordinary operating cash flows, though who knows what Covid-19 will do to its near term cash flows... Based on its dividend, I'm willing to continue holding on to the Cardinal Health bonds I own.

Balance Sheet: Cardinal Health has a higher debt to equity ratio than I'd like to see, driven in part by the write down of its 2015 Cordis acquisition -- the same reason its reporting an accounting loss over the past four quarters. Still, its current ratio is just above 1.0 and it is showing just above $1.6 billion in cash and equivalents on hand. In a world where Covid-19 has shut down much of the economy, that's a solid coverage position. Based on its balance sheet, I'm willing to continue holding on to the Cardinal Health bonds I own, but I'd certainly hope the economy starts opening back up sooner rather than later.

Valuation: Based on a discounted earnings model that presumes the world is about back on track in 2021, I estimate Cardinal Health to be worth around $55.59 per share. That's slightly ahead of its recent market price of $50.32 per share. Your guess is as good as mine, however, as to what Covid-19 does to the hospitals that Cardinal Health serves, so take that valuation estimate with a very large grain of salt.

Next Steps: I plan to hold the Cardinal Health bonds I currently own and plan to watch the upcoming earnings and dividend announcements carefully for signs that I may need to revisit that.

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Disclosure: I own Cardinal Health bonds scheduled to mature in June 2022.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.