No. of Recommendations: 13
Privacy is a thing of the past. However, you still may wish to control (to some degree) exactly how much personal, individually-identifiable information you leave behind on the Internet.

Age, location, name, home or work address, net worth, personal interests, photo albums and all sorts of stuff about you may be floating around in the ether. Some of this stuff may be (with a little effort) cross-referenced to give a person with nefarious intentions the ability to misuse the data or to target you for advertising, solicitation or even worse.

Unless you don't care who knows what about you, it may be time to consider online behavior modification.

If you want to see what your online fingerprints look like, look up your various usernames or electronic identities at the following link:

www.pipl.com

If you are a person with strong opinions, you may even find yourself personally identified and singled out for inappropriate treatment by one entity, agency or another. The various parties-in-power do change from time to time - and it makes sense to protect yourself to the extent possible against unwelcome scrutiny, since there is no guarantee that those who take over in the future will be very nice people.

I'm thinking about undertaking a little electronic behavior modification - just as a precaution. Of course, I know it's shutting the barn door after the horses are out. Nonetheless, it might make me feel a little better in the future.

Cheers.

;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.