Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 23
Time is money. So it's a trade-off what you want out of life. You can't take it with you and one thing is for sure..... you aren't going to live forever. We all have a very limited amount of time on this earth.

So the question is, how much money does someone really need to live on? If it were me I'd be trying to figure out how to skin the rabbit. Figure out the balance that makes me the happiest.

Art

Art, you are so right.

Part of the reason why I retired from active practice (besides Bozocare), is because my goals in life had changed and the goals were inconsistent with the culture any of the groups here in my city.

It so happens that the groups in my city are mostly made up of docs that are in their 30's and 40's. Most are still raising families or paying for college for their kids. These docs, along with their spouses, family, and friends have very high, unrealistic expectations of what their lifestyle should be. They're all out of sync with the new paradigm in today's medicine, an ever (d)evolving paradigm that's been developing over the last 30 years and accelerating.

For a variety of reasons related to the above, they either want to or have to maintain a certain income. When your prices (fees) are fixed and out of your control, your costs are continuing to rise, the only way to maintain your income level is to work longer hours and run your staffing "lean and mean". These docs employ the bare minimum providers so they don't have to divide the pie as many ways.

When you get a bunch of these younger, energetic, docs with big school loans, and a lifestyle "acceptable" to themselves, their spouses, kids, and family....including the spouse's family, they're willing to work their arses off. They really believe that by doing that, they'll get ahead, and some do. But most simply raise their spending to match or exceed their income. So even though they're earning a respectable income, they're really not "rich" either in terms of wealth or happiness. They're always working and always stressed.

They're usually miserable at work because being "almost" short-staffed most of the time means everybody works much harder, nobody's available for lunch or coffee breaks, and they also take more call. In addition, service to the hospital, other physicians, and patients can many times be borderline inadequate or just plain inadequate. This makes for very a cranky, stressful work environment which is already stressful enough because of the nature of the work, demanding colleagues, and impatient administrators.

As you know, time flies (especially when you have your head down working), kids grow up way too fast, and suddenly they're in their late 50's, early 60's, their kids are grown (productive or criminal), they may or may not be divorced, their health isn't as good, and they've missed out on the best things in life, all to live up to an expectation mostly demanded by other people.

My (and especially my wife's) personality and goals are no longer compatible with this approach to life. I've tried to talk a few of these groups into letting me work part-time, but within their groups, their culture is "pedal-to-the-metal" all the time with no room or tolerance for easier-going providers. So, I don't "fit" anymore. Glad I lived below my means and saved.

Assuming a typical lifespan for my wife and I, we have approximately 240 months to live. Health status is reasonably good. We're going to live a life that makes US happy, which includes spending most of our time with family, friends, and generally people we like to be around, and avoid being around people we don't like to be around. And we're going to live a life that generally makes us happy.

I found this somewhere on the internet and I think it fits:

"First, I was dying to finish high school and start college...
Then, I was dying to marry and have children…
And then, I was dying for my children to grow up so I could work more…
But then, I was dying to retire…
And now I am dying….
And suddenly I realized I forgot to live.

To make money, we sacrifice our health,
and then to restore our health, we lose our money.
We live as if we are never going to die,
And we die as if we never lived….

Please don't let this happen to you.
This life is NOT a dress rehearsal.
Appreciate your current situation and enjoy each day.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.