Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
We're about half way through 2019, and my nerves are starting to get the better of me again when it comes to the holdings in our portfolio. Call it worry over valuation. Call it a recognition that I never trust performance as strong as what I've seen out of our portfolio over the recent past. If you're feeling generous, call it a realization that even a "buy to hold" strategy requires that the companies in the portfolio be worth holding, so it makes sense to look at those companies every once in awhile.

Whatever you want to call it, it's time to look across the holdings in our portfolio again to make sure they still deserve their places. Looking at my Fool profile page, things have gotten a bit cluttered as my strategy has evolved over time, so chances are there are at least one or two positions that don't look as compelling today as they did originally.

So here's the basic plan:

1) Cash, index funds held in our employer-sponsored retirement accounts and kids' 529 plans, US Treasuries, and my employer's stock won't be part of the review.
2) I plan to cover the other investments currently in our portfolio one at a time, largely in alphabetical order by ticker, though that may change if there are trading restrictions or other compelling reasons involved.
3) I hope to get to one company per full-length Fool article I write, to provide a balance between professional needs and personal needs. Note that, as before, if I can figure out how to work a review into a Fool article, I'll do that instead of a full board post write up.
4) I can't guarantee I'll keep to that pace, or to any pace, for that matter, or even that I'll make it all the way through the review.
5) I reserve the right to buy or sell any investment without posting here, at any time, for any reason, as long as those investments comply with the Fool's and my employer's trading guidelines.
6) In the name of efficiency and simplification, I might refer to prior reviews rather than completely rehash what I've already written.

So without further delay, here's the current list of holdings available for review:

AAPL
ABBV
AET
AFL
AMT
ANET
AON
APY
AVGO
AYR
AZN
BBGI
BGG
BUD
C
CAH
CAT
CBS
CCI
COF
CPB
CSCO
CVS
DB
DIS
DISCA
DOV
EMR
ENB
EQT
ET
EXC
EXR
FLS
GE
GIS
GM
HAL
HAS
HOG
<ZOMBIE STOCK>
HR
HST
IBM
INTC
JEF
JPM
K
KDP
KHC
KIM
KMI
KR
LB
LM
LOW
MFA
MSA
MSFT
MSI
NCLH
NLY
NOC
NOV
NWL
OHI
PDCO
PRU
PSEC
R
ROIC
ROP
SHPG -- NOW OWNED BY TAK
SHW
SJM
SR
STT
STX
SYF
T
TAP
TEVA
TGT
TXN
UNP
UTX
VLO
WFC
WM
WMB
WPZ
WW
ZBH

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Disclosure: My wife and/or I own shares, have options positions in, and/or own bonds of every company mentioned in this post.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.