Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Tinker,

Great post and as an aside I am a great fan of your investing philosophy. However, having a bit of knowledge in this subject as well as working for a company that is developing a humanized antibody, I felt like I needed to chime in here. While fundementally I agree that the field of antibody humanization is an ideal place to look for potential investment (note I did not use the "G" word), I urge caution. I believe that the true "tornado" type growth will come from the information elucidated by the genomics effort...or as is the current in vogue term "functional genomics." However, as those of us that do drug discovery will attest, creating antibodies one mouse at a time is not what I would describe as high-throughput. I concurr with one of the earlier posts that the place to look is at CAT (FTSE) or Morphosys (Neuer markt). These two companies do screening for humanized antibodies by using phage display (a very powerful technique designed for highthroughput screening of 10s to 100s of millions of possible antibody combinations at a time). What is even more exciting about this technology is that is allows for the creation of antibody that might not otherwise be create in an animal...let me explain.

Suppose you have a drug target that is very similar between man and mouse (not a big assumption). Moreover, this drug target is important in the every day functioning of the animal (also not a big assumption). By immunizing the animal with the drug target in order to get the animal to produce antibodies against the drug target, you will probably not get very good antibodies against the target. This is because the animals immune system will not create a response to "self." However, by removing the animal and using a bacteriophage (viruses that attack bacteria) system, antibodies to any protein can be easily made. This is not to say that there are not problems associated with the phage techniques (antibody maturation etc.) however, in general this a very powerful technique and the only one IMO that will be able to be incorporated in the functional genomics revolution.

What makes this even more interesting is that these two companies are currently locked to a very ugly patent battle (a la QCOM vs ERICY).

Yo.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.