Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Tinker,

I'm curious why you like Mongo better than Okta ?

Okta to me seems to fill a real need with a TAM of pretty much every company who needs to manage employee access to many different cloud-related applications. Sure, MS can use their AD-based SSO, and AWS can (claim to) integrate your on-prem AD with their SSO for AWS. But that still leaves all the other things employees need access to that aren't covered by those two solutions. And there are lots and lots and lots of them. Not to mention that it's apparently trivial to integrate home grown apps into Okta using their API.

But I get the impression that Mongo is limited to those doing big data analysis. While still a big market, not everyone is doing that. And there's less stickiness to Mongo's solution from what I can tell than there is with AYX. Anyone could come along with a new version of hadoop, or, come out with whatever the next hadoop is, and where will Mongo be at that point? I suppose AYX theoretically faces a similar problem. Or ANET. But AYX and ANET seem like they have stickier products than Mongo does. Whereas Okta solves a huge pain for pretty much any company using the internet and I don't see anyone else challenging them in that area.

Just my $.02. I really want to like Mongo, I just don't see the growth trajectory yet. Maybe that's me.

--
Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.