Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
tj:
A bond does not have a high probability of default simply because it has a yield greater than 6% and it may be a much safer bond than one trading with a 5% yield.

I think you and Yoda are talking past each other. I think both of you are correct.

The market is pricing the bond with a 6% yield as a higher chance of default than the 5% bond. Clearly, sometimes this risk is estimated incorrectly. What you are saying is that you think you have knowledge that indicates that this is risk is false.

Smaller companies do fail, in aggregate, more than large companies (they also grow faster). If you have knowledge about underlying assets or earnings power that others do not know you can make money.

I think that Yoda is pointing out that there is risk associated with this. It is easy to get hubris in this business. Things work until they do not.

Charles
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.