Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
tjberk wrote <<what does one man's opinion (WEB) have to do with the pricing of anything>>. I agree that one should not accept opinions on authority, but rather on reasoning. I found his arguments convincing

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=205334

was written in November of 1999, and

http://www.fortune.com/indext.jhtml?channel=print_article.jhtml&doc_id=205324

was written in December of 2001. Both articles are well worth reading IMHO.

In his 1999 article he pointed that the Dow Jones averages were essentially flat between 1964 and 1981, and it soared from 1981 to 1998. One major factor was that interest rates went from 4% to 15% in the first period and dropped to around 6% in 1999. In the 2001 article he assumes GDP to grow at 5% (includes inflation) and return will be 7% (perhaps because of 2% dividends). He assumes there will be no help from interest rates or from undervaluations of equities. His two articles were very persuasive to me, and even if he has a 50% chance of being correct it seems better to be conservative.

I'm inclined to think that the REITs will outperform the general stock indices over the next 10 years and will do so with less volatility. I'm inclined to think that the recent movement of money into REITs reflects the beginning of an appreciation of the advantages of REITs. I'm also going to have to rethink what an efficient market is. I just can't ignore the main argument for efficient markets, namely that most money managers do not beat the averages over a long period of time.

Respectfully

klee12

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.