No. of Recommendations: 18
Seeing this prior Thread about certain types of funds, I just checked out TMF funds, which I assume are actually recommended funds as opposed to funds actually managed by TMF. They suck, plain and simple. Huge expense ratios, plus redemption fees. I can't believe TMF has come to this. Only a totally fool would follow the advice of TMF. What a switch from the old days.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
And they do not beat the indices.

It is possible to do quite well (OK, I did this some years ago, and I assume it is still possible) by trading mutual funds. I used a simple relative strength model. However, the fund managers hate this because they want you always to be in their fund. So they make it difficult for you if you do this. I always held for 30-40 days unless there was a general market sell signal. But they were still not happy.

When the market is doing well, it is hard to beat the small caps and the Nasdaq. So IWM and QQQ are good bets. And they are traded like stocks, so no fund manager is going to be upset.

Of course, you can do better trading stocks if you know what you are doing.
Right.

And gone are the Fool's caps. I have a vague memory that when the brothers were still wearing the Fool's caps, the Fool School used to recommend index funds.

I learned a lot from TMF in the old days!

I'm wondering now what they'll do for April 1. As a joke, they always used to have crazy articles that were very unFoolish. But what can they do now? Every day is just pretty much like any other....

culcha
The Fool Rule Your Retirement service recommends funds only in several model portfolios from conservative to more aggressive. It's a great service for those who prefer funds or some funds in their overall portfolio.

Vivienne
The Fool Rule Your Retirement service recommends funds only in several model portfolios from conservative to more aggressive. It's a great service for those who prefer funds or some funds in their overall portfolio.

Well, that's nice to know. I only know TMF from these open boards -- which were once the only boards they had.

culcha
No. of Recommendations: 1
They also used to have a "lessons learned" web page with all the portfolios that they used to have that they shut down for one reason or another and what they learned form it.