No. of Recommendations: 3
TMF Max said; The Internet hasn't changed the right to defend your reputation in that manner, as far as I know.

Bill, I think that after the long ordeal the nation endured during the Paula Jones case and Clinton's impeachment hearings, the words Libel and Slander were almost rendered obsolete. President Clinton was widely accused in the media of being a liar, a pervert, a criminal and even a murderer. On CNBC's Geraldo program, guest Ann Coulter insisted the President had Peronni's disease and because she was sure he had it, Paula Jones could identify him. The President had to go to his physician to prove he didn't, and that still didn't satisfy her! Coulter, a constitutional attorney and dozens of others in the media and legal profession made many slanderous statements aimed at Clinton and have never been called to defend themselves in a libel or slander suit to this day. Voicing such libel and slander aimed at the President on a daily basis, could have rubbed off on a large segment of our population. I'm not just talking about the Elan Eleven because their statements were mild compared to what I have seen written about other posters, politicians, journalists, analysts and TV pundits all over the net.

So, I have to lay a lot of the blame on the media, not Yahoo as some have suggested, because if you can say and write such strong statements, some of which were proven false, about an American President, calling an analyst goofy, a loser or even evil seem rather mild. Also, remember NONE of Elan Eleven's comments were copyrighted or sent to the media for dissemination. As one poster said...board postings are more like cocktail party discussions and all statements should be considered the author's opinion unless otherwise noted.

Keep Foolish and Prosper,

Spirit
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.