No. of Recommendations: 10
I've received a response from TMFBogey re Motley Fool policy on Speaker's Corner boards, after providing him with a description of some of the background of the debate. Here is the full text of the e-mail.

Rob,

There is nothing in our policy that gives ownership of a particular board to a particular individual. So, it would not be accurate to say that anything in our terms and conditions gives intercst (or anyone else) the right to dictate an agenda. That said, there are people who start boards that are, from an ettiquette standpoint, viewed as the spiritual "owner" of a particular kind of discussion. A good example of this would be Jeanpaulsartre in the Martini Club folder.

So, while I support your desire to discuss your ideas with the board, and there is nothing in our terms that would prevent that, you have to decide if you want to upset the balance of the board, which may not be willing to hear your ideas with an open mind.

If I were you, I'd conduct a poll to see what the board participants
think. Further, I'd lay out what you'd like to do as explicitly as you've laid it out to me. Be humble and tell them that your ideas may be at odds occasionally with what the study shows, and ask if people want to discuss your ideas anyway.

Good luck with it!

David

My personal belief is that a poll might just lead to further divisiveness.

My response to the statement of TMF policy is that the most constructive thing is to let the issue drop for the time being,
with the thought that I might try to resurrect it at some later date if it
comes to appear that the thinking of the board had changed enough to allow for discussion of my Retire Early investment strategies without as much risk of "upsetting the balance of the board" that seems to exist today.

If the composition of the board has not changed enough within six month to a year's time, at which point I expect to have more free time, I anticipate starting my own Speaker's Corner board that would provide for discussion of the issues I was trying to raise here, among many others. In the meantine, I still may visit the Retire Early board from time to time, but only to post on Retire Early topics outside the field of investing.

I hope that the posts of the past week have generated a small amount of light, in addition to a large amount of heat.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.