Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
TMF Taxes,

Thanks for your reply. May be I was not very clear in my first post.

<Husbands can never be dependents on your US tax return.>

Sorry, I meant to say as a dependant on my visa. As I work here and he has come here as my spouse but he is not working at the moment and earning anything in USA.

<So now I'm confused as to what you have really done in the past. And how you did it.>

In the past I filed my returns as head of household with my daughter as dependent. My husband worked in UK and filed his returns there. My husband was not included in the tax returns at all as he just came to visit us for a few days every once in a while. Tax-wise UK was his country of residence.

.< But I'm just not sure that you quite understand the tax system when dealing with married folks...one who is a resident and one who is not. >

This calender year he qualifies as a Resident Alien since he qualifies his physical presence test of more than 6 months during the Tax year. He has also left UK for good.

Thanks for guiding me to appropriate IRS publication. I am going through it. If I have any questions, I will seek your help.

Thanks again

rsy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.