Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
TMF Taxes wrote:
<<But, again, this issue is at the ESTATE level...not necessarily at the beneficiary level. So this question should be directed at the attorney who is dealing with the estate and estate tax issues. >>

<<It'll be treated as ordinary income to you and will be taxed at your marginal tax rate...whatever that rate happens to be. It could be different for all of you. And while I'm not familar with Penn state laws, you would generally not be taxed in Penn for taxes on the IRA distribution, unless Penn is your resident state.>>

My condolences on your loss. My father was a resident of Pennsylvania and I just recently had experience with PA tax laws. The one item that surprised my brother and me was that his beneficiary-driven IRAs counted as taxable assets in his estate. They were taxed at the 6% rate.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.