No. of Recommendations: 13
TMFMax says...

<<But this case will never get that far anyway -- everybody is going to apologize and be done with it. At least that's my guess. >>

My mind reels at the seeming flippant nature of this remark. Apparently the people who are being sued have all the money they ever need for lawyers. Also, they won't suffer any emotional distress for their remarks. This is all just like a high school civics class, where no one gets hurt, even if the legal sword of financial ruin hangs over their heads for years. After everyone apologizes, they will all go out for a group hug and photo. Is this a 30 minute sitcom with a happy ending?

No. This is a serious dicussion about free speech. And First Boston doesn't have to earn a penny, or even go to court to intimidate and discourage posters from posting negative thoughts about them in the future.

In this 21st century, freedom of speech is not threatened by a legion in masks coming into my house at night. But if I am afraid to speak because a legion of lawyers threaten to ruin me financially, is the end result not the same?

Now let me be honest and clear here. I don't know what was said on the Yahoo board. It's not really important to me personally. Any message board which is publicly accessable will contain junk, useless unprovable statements and personal remarks which do not add value. Its alot like people exchanging opinions at the coffee pot at work every day. Its up to the intelligent readers to sift through the chaff.

Do we really want the courts in this country to enforce civility? That scares me.

Of course, maybe message boards are capable of bringing down entire corporations, and therefore we need these lawsuits. Perhaps a couple of really mean posts by someone can bring down the Cuban government? Yes, please protect us from evil all-powerful message boards.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.