Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
TMFMurph,

You wrote, Thanks for going the extra mile, Joel!

No problem. I did my DD on this back in 2008. Looking it up again wasn't that hard. I even posted about it on the Yahoo Finance CFCpB board back then. Shoot, I believe I even speculated about the structure of the merger and the fact that without an explicit guarantee, BAC could raid the CFC subsidiary and then bankrupt it if it became a liability.

Also, Now, if the panic over BAC remains/increases ( especially if they use the "nuclear option", aka bankrupting the CountryWide division to avoid mortgage put backs/lawsuits), we'll have a chance for a potentially profitable binary event:

Buy ( more ) CFCpB at distressed prices...and do quite well....unless BAC itself goes under. ;-)

Honestly, BAC has gotten me worried in recent months - not just the CFC unit. I really wish I hadn't been quite so greedy. I had been planning to unload some of my holdings when CFC-B got up to 24+. It got there, but I rationalized hanging on to an out-sized position because "there wasn't anything better." Now the shares are back to their distressed pricing levels.

In fact in my greed, I purchased a few hundred shares of CPP over the past 2 years, knowing full well that they had not been explicitly guaranteed. Now I'm contemplating unloading some of those shares and taking a small capital loss on the position. (I'm also holding a position in BML-Q; but it's much smaller and was originally a Merrill issue.)

BTW, I personally don't think it would be worth it to BAC to put the CountryWide unit into bankruptcy (CFC is a good scapegoat on paper, until you realize that BAC and Merrill also issued and underwrote a lot of these bad legacy loans, so ditching CFC won't magically make all the lawsuits go away); but it's not like I have a crystal ball. If the litigation liabilities get that bad, BAC will probably be down to a choice between bankrupting CFC or having itself placed into receivership by its regulator.

Oh. And I'm also not entirely happy with some of the cost-cutting moves they're making. But then as an engineer and I've never been sold on the idea that out-sourcing is a panacea for a company's financial ailments. (Sure, it works for some things; but it's lousy for others.)

What do I think needs to be done? More automation. More controls. More centralized risk management. More centralized, advanced planning and forecasting. A focus on efficient processes. A focus on delivering value to its customers at a reasonable cost. And less of the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants we-have-to-do-this-because-we-have-to-do-something-different mentality. New, more enlightened leadership that understands where the risks and opportunities really are and not just people making moves to help pacify their boss or Congress.

Do I think any of that will happen? No. Will the current management sink the ship? Like I said, my crystal ball isn't that clear.

So in the end, I'll probably lighten up some (or just buy puts on BAC common as a hedge) and ride it out for a while longer. Add more? Probably not. Its not that I don't think CFC-B is a good buy - it's just that I'm already too exposed to BAC at this point and BAC is simply too risky to hold too much of it. Would I recommend CFC-B? Sure - if you don't have any, it's on sale now and would be a good addition to a portfolio in moderation.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.