Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
TMFPanic has an article that says:

[...]
The financial details of the deal aside, perhaps the most intriguing aspect of today's news is what the combination of Intel and DSP will mean down the road for current market darling Qualcomm (Nasdaq: QCOM), which has established itself as the CDMA technology leader. Currently, DSP's products are really the only alternative to Qualcomm's CDMA chipsets.

Hmm, my understanding, from boards and articles etc, was that QCOM had pretty strong IP on CDMA, but, that they licensed it to a select few. Does DSP license that tech or do they have a "valid" competing CDMA chipset??? I dont think it would be worth intels while, or so it seems, if it was strictly licensed by DSP since there would be profit but no IP for the purchase (i.e. not sustainable if they lose the license or it expires).

If they are CDMA competitors of a reasonable sort, then the inclusion of Intel backing could turn it into a real dogfight, tho QCOM definitely has the lead in CDMA and perhaps whatever 3G turns into.

What might be interesting is that there is CDMA and GSM(?) the primarily european standard. The consensus, from what I have read, seems to be that CDMA is better, but, I keep reading and getting an undertone that there is some "us vs. them" competition over this issue. Perhaps there will be folks looking for a 3G format that isnt exclusively QCOM owned, and perhaps this deal makes that more viable.. Vague speculation I know, just my random thoughts..

Anyway, that's my 2%, cheers,

jgc
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.