Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
TMFPixy Date: 10/11/00 6:55 AM Number: 25438
------------------------------------------------------

DHatch writes:

<<With reference to another more serious oops, have you given any consideration to taking another look at the propriety of your model retirement portfolios which apparently still seem to contain the Foolish Four as the sole stock component for retirement portfolios upon which retired people might have to rely during their retirement.>>

<<The portfolios are not due for an update until December 10. As I told you last December or maybe January, nothing will be decided until then. So I guess you'll just have to wait and see, won't you?>>

Ok, in accordance with your not-so-subtle suggestion, I shall wait with optimistic anticipation.

<<P.S. I certainly hope that you do not intend to suggest or approvingly refer to any of those flawed model retirement portfolios in any retirement seminar with which you or TMF might in any way be involved.>>

<<If you're so concerned, why not take the seminar to see what I have to say? That way if you object to anything the seminar contains, you will have the seminar participant message boards to point out the errors of our ways.>>

Why not indeed? Well for a number of reasons.

1. It is not the errors of "our ways". It is the error of "your ways".

2. If you could be convinced of the error of "your ways", because of your innate intelligence and your basic sense of honesty, you could and would convey your then held belief to others in a much more effective manner than I ever could.

3. To be effectively accepted the message must come from you. You have a great mind, a great ability to communicate, and occasionally even a sense of humor. You have helped and guided many and have earned the respect of all. If you could merely somehow get over the insanely enthusiastic conviction that the Foolish Four should be the sole stock holdings of a retiree's portfolio, you would probably be almost perfect. Heck, you would be almost my Favorite TMFer.

4. If you remain unconvinced of the error of "your ways", you will remain adamant against my warnings and there would be no point in my "apparent heresy" merely arousing anger among your choir of disciples, believers, adherents, admirers, and others who would be unlikely to admit that they might have wasted their money on your seminar.

5. You are such a free, caring, and giving person that I doubt that you would withhold from this board any new breakthough information which might be revealed in your seminar.

6. I find it hard to believe that any intelligent knowledgeable investor could derive significant additional benefit from a seminar given by one who actually advocates that a retiree's portfolio should have as its sole stock components only four stocks, no matter how those four stocks might be chosen.

<<Regards..Pixy>>

Well, warmest regards back to you.

If you should wish to consider a possible Better Foolish Four (F4.3?) or an alternate or addition to the present Foolish Four (F4.2), please do click on and read:

http://www.fool.com/ddow/2000/ddow001011.htm

However, in any event, please do stop limiting the stock component of any retiree's portfolio to only four stocks.

Sincerely,

DHatch

P.S. I still believe that TTT (SPY, QQQ, and a bit of cash at short-term interest) should be seriously considered as at least a "core" holding in any retirement portfolio.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.