Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
TMFPMarti writes (in part):

This is actually a lot easier than it appears on the surface since you're going to sell all your shares. You can show your date acquired as "various." Your basis is the total of:

1. Any amount relating to the purchases reported as wages on your W-2's; plus

2. Your reinvested dividends.

I reply:

One tweak may be necessary here. If you are still purchasing shares through a DRIP, then the purchases within one year of your sale are short-term shares which must be accounted for separately from the remaining long-term shares.

If you end up deciding to sell only a portion of your holdings, be sure you understand the rules pertaining to specific identification, because those rules, properly applied, can save you money. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.