No. of Recommendations: 11
TMFSpeck,

This sort of misinformed caricature of those who voted for Obama is exactly what I see as what went wrong for the GOP in this most recent election

Odd that you were missing here when I tried to get Obama supporters to list the few top reasons why one should vote for Obama (not why you should vote against Romney).

The only person who articulated an answer was 1poorguy, who gave only one reason: the actions Obama has taken while in office so far resulted in a decrease in unemployment, a rise in the stock market, a rise in the Gross Domestic Product, and reduced the rate at which the national debt is growing. (To be fair, 1poorguy also said he would much rather have voted for someone other than Obama, had a candidate he considered appropriate been on the ballot.)

Of course it's not difficult to illustrate that unemployment has significantly increased and the national debt is growing by unprecedented amounts. I haven't researched the Gross Domestic Product, and the stock market is very difficult to pin down as to rising or falling (it largely depends on: compared to what?). Obviously the big question is: what did Obama have to do with these things, even assuming they are real? Unfortunately, we were overrun by the election before I had time to ask 1poorguy exactly what actions Obama took that accomplished these improvements.

Still, if you're going to complain about people's assumptions on why people voted for Obama, maybe you should have been one of the ones to step in and tell us why we should have voted for Obama back when it might have made a difference.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.