No. of Recommendations: 1
TMFSpirit said:
All we know for sure is that this analyst was wrong in his analysis on Elan
and evidently many Elan investors thought he was making very misleading and untrue statements and went after him.

I've been lurking around here for a little over a year, and I don't have 5000 posts or anything, but I just can't keep my nose out of this one.

I have seen SOOOO many posts that jump to conclusions and make assumptions like this one:

All we know for sure
OK, so here's what we can be absolutely positive about:

...this analyst was wrong in his analysis...
I haven't personally done all the research, but it's a good bet.

then
...and evidently many Elan investors...
Doesn't evidently mean that we don't have proof yet? So how can we "know?"

...thought he was making very misleading and untrue statements...
Oh, so now we "know for sure" what "investors thought" based on evidence in their posts! Well, I feel much better knowing I can believe everything I read online and know it for sure!

When people publish messages they need to keep in mind what assumptions people are going to make when they read them. And when people read messages, the need to realize that the writer might not have used the perfect language to get his message across to every Tom, Dick, & Harriet. I guess it's too much to expect everyone to keep an open mind.

-Eric
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.