Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
To accurrately compare the two, you would have to calculate what would happen if you were on unemployment and left the kids in daycare.

I see your point, but I disagree. Other expenses would cease (commute costs), and some would increase (cost of finding a new job). I think all can be taken into account to come up with "net income".

Another thing to consider is that unemployment has a timeline. You could not survive on it forever.

True. What I meant to get at was a lot of the anxiety some feel over losing their job can actually not apply in some cases - my net financial situation would improve slightly.

Long term, I would of course worry about healthcare the most - I am afraid that my one bout with high BP and cholestorol would be considered pre-existing, but come October I could be on T's insurance anyway before mine was terminated, so that's nice. I know others do not have that luxury, either.

Also long term would be the anxiety over a new job. Honestly I would probably be looking two fold - at jobs in my current profession AND at jobs in a new/different profession or with PT hours I could just work while the kids were in school (I wouldn't have to earn as much if I wasn't paying daycare).

Also, since it's a liberal handout for freeloaders, I would hope that you would say a weekly prayer at a home shrine to Ronald Reagan to help motivate you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, work a little harder, and live the Ameruhcan dream of self-suffiency.

Well of course. If I weren't lazy I'd have three jobs right now, even.

And I'd also be staying home so that my kids weren't raised by strangers all day.

Contradictory you say? Pish-posh - I'm just too lazy to have figured out how to do it all yet!

impolite
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.