Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
To clarify and add somewhat to the two responses you've already received:

1. Yes, the limit is now $11K per year.

2. Assuming you are married, each of you and your spouse can give your daughter (or anyone else) $11K without restriction, with no tax consequences or filing requirements.

3. As Debra notes, be sure to give your daughter your basis and purchase dates. If/when she sells the stock, she will have to file a Sched D with her tax return, and will need basis/purchase dates to figure capital gain.

4. Again assuming you are married, you can give your daughter $22K directly. That is, it need not be $11K from you and $11K from your spouse; it can be $22K from you alone. In this case (called gift splitting) there is a minimal reporting requirement. You file a one-page form (709-A, Short Form Gift Tax Return) on which the spouse says, essentially, "Yeah, it's ok that we did this." The longer gift return, which uses up some of your unified estate/gift tax credit, is needed only if the aggregate from you and your spouse exceeds $22K.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.