Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
To contribute to a Health Savings Account, do you have to have taxable (or earned) income?

No. Unlike an IRA, HSAs don't specify what type of income the contribution can come from. Details are found in IRS Pub 969

To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA, you must meet the following requirements.
• You are covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP), described later, on the first day of the month.
• You have no other health coverage except what is permitted under Other health coverage, later.
• You aren’t enrolled in Medicare.
• You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s ** tax return

** The referenced IRS Pub is for use with 2019 tax returns, and I replaced 2019 with asterisks, since I'm guessing you aren't asking about 2019 contributions at this point.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.