Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
once again, you are being argumentative, tone deaf, holier than thou, and somewhat obnoxious.

this is not the first time on this board, and on several other boards, that this has happened to you.

if you want to understand beliefs that people hold, and that you do not hold, it probably is a good idea to NOT ask them to explain things, and then denounce their explanations, and then ask more questions, and then denounce their answers again. it makes you seem like a jerk.

Steven and I disagree on many things, and in some ways I am probably closer to some of your opinions than his on various issues. But, I would rather debate and argue with him than I would with you because he doesnt go out of his way to be unpleasant, and even if you believe you don't do that, you really do.

please, take a breather for a while, ok? come back later and be more respectful of beliefs you dont share. and please dont start whining how you are just trying to learn. there are several people on this board, all knowledgeable and intelligent, on the right and on the left, religious and secular, who have answered your questions, but you just seem to skip over their answers or tear them apart.

Son, you need to take a class called 'Basic Discourse 101 ... How to debate with people without pissing them off'. You really, really need this.

Dov

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Dov, "once again, you are being argumentative, tone deaf, holier than thou, and somewhat obnoxious.

this is not the first time on this board, and on several other boards, that this has happened to you.

if you want to understand beliefs that people hold, and that you do not hold, it probably is a good idea to NOT ask them to explain things, and then denounce their explanations, and then ask more questions, and then denounce their answers again. it makes you seem like a jerk.

Steven and I disagree on many things, and in some ways I am probably closer to some of your opinions than his on various issues. But, I would rather debate and argue with him than I would with you because he doesnt go out of his way to be unpleasant, and even if you believe you don't do that, you really do.

please, take a breather for a while, ok? come back later and be more respectful of beliefs you dont share. and please dont start whining how you are just trying to learn. there are several people on this board, all knowledgeable and intelligent, on the right and on the left, religious and secular, who have answered your questions, but you just seem to skip over their answers or tear them apart.

Son, you need to take a class called 'Basic Discourse 101 ... How to debate with people without pissing them off'. You really, really need this."
Dr. Rick has done the same thing at the "Pet Lovers Board" at http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112961 .Read ALL of the posts in the subject "generic post" at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25483153&sort=whole .He has offended people on both the left and the right. He is a good vet and you can learn from him. That is why, some people have him in favorites. If I lived in his area, he might even be my vet. But he needs to change his whining, ugly ways, etc. In case, Dr. Rick does not know this, I am a Christian, a gentile, and an animal lover. I have friends at this board. That is why I visit and sometimes, post here. Dr. Rick you NEED to learn to let things go and quit insulting people. Teresa
No. of Recommendations: 0
What is interesting is that I try very hard to not use words like:

argumentative, tone deaf, holier than thou, and somewhat obnoxious

You and others seem to find no reason not to engage in name calling when it suits a purpose.

Usually the purpose, and in this case it seems to be the purpose, is to intentionally discredit that which challenges belief and makes on uncomfortable.
Rather than admit that the gadfly who asks a difficult question because he really wants to understand the issue and wants to get a straight answer makes one uncomfortable, one has a tendency to blame the questioner rather than the question or even the way the question may challenge what is perceived to be true.

I don't have a problem have my beliefs challenged.

I don't "denounce" answers. I read them. I then think about them, often I search for information the fleshes out the answer while at the same time generating additional questions.
In fact, I have supported the reasons for asking the questions by posting the links where I found the information that I created the source of the additional questions or need for clarification.

I haven't been similarly presented with useful links. When I present links, to support a particular point, the response I get is that no matter what link I post, it is not an accepted or valid one.

This isn't discourse.

If you want to call what I do "whining" just to be perjorative along with all the other insults you've chosen to use in a very short space and then tell me that I'm the one who needs to engage in a basic course in discourse, I'd rather not learn your style of discourse as I find that your brand of discourse ineffective in communicating nothing other than you're belief that you are justified in venting your frustration with me in an uncivil manner.

It isn't even remotely possible that the questions I ask anger people because they don't want to answer them because of what the answer might reveal?
No. of Recommendations: 13
as I said Rick, you are argumentative and tone deaf, and let me add that you rationalize your own behavior while you denounce others.

piss off.

Dov
No. of Recommendations: 6
It isn't even remotely possible that the questions I ask anger people because they don't want to answer them because of what the answer might reveal?

no Rick. I have known most of the posters on the J&F board for several years, and none of them are ashamed of their own views, and post here precisely to argue them.

go take your meds.
I'm glad you have found a vent for your frustrations.
If it makes you feel superior while you are engaged in the activity, so much the better.

No. of Recommendations: 2
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24824816

I'm not the best poster. I've done an excellent job of offending nearly everyone on this board.

I've taken offense where none was intended and I've refused apology when it has been honestly offered.

While some have given up on me, others have found merit in my posts.

I'm not all that normal by anyone's standards.

It's a pretty good bet that I might be boderline autistic. Its a near certainty that I can be diagnosed with some variant of Asperger's Syndrome ...

.... I've come to understand that I'm not normal by anyone's standard ...

... I don't go to a public events without her. I am incapable of recognizing most human faces ...

... This board, has treated me brutally at times.

Mostly, I deserved the brutality from nonrepentant rationalists. The brutality has been honest and fair.

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm not the best poster.

Good. You've finally seen the light. Abe rules.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 1
"http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24824816

I'm not the best poster. I've done an excellent job of offending nearly everyone on this board.

I've taken offense where none was intended and I've refused apology when it has been honestly offered.

While some have given up on me, others have found merit in my posts.

I'm not all that normal by anyone's standards.

It's a pretty good bet that I might be boderline autistic. Its a near certainty that I can be diagnosed with some variant of Asperger's Syndrome ...

.... I've come to understand that I'm not normal by anyone's standard ...

... I don't go to a public events without her. I am incapable of recognizing most human faces ...

... This board, has treated me brutally at times.

Mostly, I deserved the brutality from nonrepentant rationalists. The brutality has been honest and fair."

My goodness, you wrote nearly the same message that I wrote. You weren't copying me or using what I wrote without attribution, quotes etc were you?

Yes, I wrote that, and it is true and I stand by it.

I'm not ashamed of who I am. I have faults. Apparently more than anyone else on this board.

I'd wish I was as good a person as you'd like me to be but I'm not.

"I'm not the best poster."

Good. You've finally seen the light. Abe rules.

Abe

Then Abe rules somewhat belatedly. That post was made in November of 2006.

Boy, someone is really on a mission.
No. of Recommendations: 1
That post was made in November of 2006.

I definitely was not talking to you.

Abe