Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently found that I am not eligible to make a deductible contribution to my traditional IRA because my employer has a 401k account ( to which I started contributing from Dec 15, 2000 ). Now what do I do with the $1000 that I already sent my IRA broker this year towards last year's contribution ? Should I take it back? The stock that money bought has fallen in value since I put it in, so withdrawing would set me back by about $200 and also how does one compute the withdrawal amount?

If suppose I dont withdraw it, I understand it would be called a non-deductible contribution. Can I mix deductibe and non-deductible contributions in the same IRA account ? How does one calculate the tax when the money is finally withdraw at age 59 1/2?

Last question, I found that I can make a *deductible* contribution to my non-working spouse's IRA. Well, thats good, but I cant cough up the money within this short time frame, can I transfer my excess non-deductible contribution of $1000 from my IRA to my wife's IRA . What are the tax implications? Is it going to complicate the paperwork next year?

Thanks for your answers!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.