Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
To make a short story long, my wife and I are self employed and work together. No employees. Is there a broker that will allow me to get a Roth 401K and buy the stocks I want?

Yes, they are often called 'solo' 401(k)s or 'single' 401(k)s. If you have a relationship with a broker other than Sharebuilder, you can ask there. Otherwise, you might want to start with Fidelity or Vanguard

I think there is an income limit rule on this too but I don't know if that is the gross income of the company, after all deductions or what. I'm reading conflicting stories.

There are income limits. For the Roth portion of a 401(k), you, as the employee, can put in up to $17,500 (plus a $5,500 catch up contribution if 50 or over). The employer can contribute a total of $51,000 or 25% of the business profit, whichever is less. The employer contribution plus the employee contribution for an individual cannot exceed $51,000, not including the catch-up contribution for those 50 or over). All employer contributions must be pre-tax, so they cannot go into the Roth portion of the 401(k).

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.