Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To make more money and get into the 33% or 35% bracket may not help. If the extra money you are making is from qualified dividends or long-term capital gains, supposedly taxed at 15%, you will still get taxed at the 28% AMT rate.
If the extra income is from interest or short-term gains, or non-qualified dividends, you may pay less AMT, although there will still be more tax.
I'm shifting income more into munis not subject to AMT, always individual bonds, not funds.
There are some muni bond funds that have only a small % of bonds subject to AMT--IQI, IQM and IQT come to mind. Most of the muni funds carry a higher % of bonds subject to AMT because it increases their yields. Looks good on paper but you get taxed more than you might if you were buying individual bonds and specifically look for this fact. If you are using a full service broker, he will tell you, and if you are picking from an online listing it will tell you if a bond is subject to AMT.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.