Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
To me it means that we're retired and living well, that is as well or better than before retirement, on less than our income before retirement.

As long as it doesn't get like it did in some past discussions, and like it does sometimes on LBYM, when someone mentions a way to save money, and someone much better off scoffs that that isn't really living. I really want to avoid that here. There are innumerable places on the net to discuss very well-funded retirements. IMO this place is for everybody else.

Not to say that wealthy people have nothing to add. Look…I have friends who used to have an income of $900k (more like $300k after paying employees), and are retired on something like $150k income. To "make ends meet," they're adding a 5th bathroom so they can rent out their house in a prime summer vac area for--wait for it--$50,000/month for August.

Now that may give some of us lesser mortals an idea about raising a little extra cash, but really their financial decisions are in a whole other world from mine, and my income is slightly above 2x median, which makes me marginally qualified to comment here IMO. My "saving grace" is that I've been poor and know exactly what it's like to get the bare necessities paid for.

I hope this place will be geared towards people making under 2x median, and especially under 1x median. Ther are other boards on TMF, let alone elsewhere, to discuss living well in retirement with few financial constraints.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.