Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
To me it means that we're retired and living well, that is as well or better than before retirement, on less than our income before retirement.

That's wonderful!

-----------

In retirement, one no longer pays FICA taxes or funds their 401k/403b/Roths/pension (and at age 65, you get an extra tax deduction). Work-related expenses are gone--and maybe also the mortgage--and very possibly one's in a lower tax bracket. One may need only 50-90% of what one earned while working to live just as well, have the same effective income.

This calculation is hard for me to make. DH lost his high tech job in the Tech Wreck, and I had my hours cut to 10/week 6 months later. In the interim, DH got an adjunct professor job. We're retired on a little more than his final teaching paycheck, but it's 1/3 of what we made in our peak year (2000). But we feel comparably well off since our expenses are also down by 2/3!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.