Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
To Old Sourdough:

I didn't need to watch the History Channel. I watched the Cuban Missle Crises live on TV. I was already in High School. I had been diving under my desk in grade school civil defense alerts since the early 1950's. The Soviet threat is latent at this point and economically we are mutually dependant on the Chinese, making a serious nuclear exchange with them less likely, at least for now. This is what makes me wonder why we still have so many warheads.

I don't quibble with our using the nukes to end WWII without an invasion of Japan. Rather, I am suggesting we try and see our actions through the eyes of others who are now trying to acquire WMD. If WMD are so bad, why don't we get rid of our own? If I am them, that's the first question I would ask. If religeous fanatisism

To Mr. Cynic:

Of course we haven't used nuclear weapons since WWII. However, our official nuclear policy has changed since Bush took office. You know that. We renounced first strikes before and nobody hit us first. This is no longer our publicly stated policy. The Bush Administration has changed the game.

Speaking of which (games, that is) our nuclear policies during the Cold War were well thought out and the results of endless war games. As a result, we had lots and lots of war plans, but no war. Since Bush has taken office, we seem to have lots of war but no plan.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.